Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunday night is Sandwich night

It's amazing how fast the weekend zips by. One moment, I am basking in the idea of resting and enjoying myself (the promise of Friday nights), and in the blink of an eye, I find myself feverishly trying to wrap things up before the weekend is over.

We just got back from a lovely princess theme party where my older daughter had a grand time playing dress up and story time, savoring cake, and crafting a necklace.   It's got me thinking about what I am going to do for my two little ones' birthdays.  They are turning 5 and 1 in a couple of months.   There is an ice cream place not too far off which might be a hit for the summer.  There is also the option of hosting at home with outside entertainment for the kids.  My older daughter has a guest list all prepared for her party.  On the other hand, my little one turns 1, so this would be a big one, we may invite relatives and friends from all over the country.  Maybe we should celebrate both parties together...lots to think about.  Any suggestions on how we could have a rocking birthday party for the girls, I wanna know about them.  Do post your ideas for me.

And now, back to Sunday night dinner.  Nothing's easier than sandwiches. 

Vegetable Sandwich

Slices of :
Sandwich Bread
1 Potato, boiled
1 Cucumber
1 Red Onion
1 Tomato
Cheese (provolone or your personal favorite)

1/2 cup Green Chutney(see recipe below for fresh homemade)
3 tsp Chaat masala (tangy -spicy masala from Indian grocery store)
Salt to taste
Butter
Apply green chutney on one side of all the bread slices, and butter on the other.
Now arrange all veg. slices on chutney-ed bread, followed by cheese, sprinkle chaat masala on top, then grill the closed sandwiches.
Serve with ketchup or hot sauce.
This is so quick, and so yum!

The green chutney can be store bought, or homemade per recipe below:

Green Chutney

1 bunch cilantro
3 large cloves of garlic
salt to taste
2 drops of lemon (optional)
3 green chillies (optional- for those who like it hot)
Blend all ingredients and you have yourself some delicious cilantro chutney.  There are many different variations to this basic recipe.  You may add some peanuts to the mix.  Or substitute cilantro and garlic with mint and onion. 

Until tomorrow, sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment