Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cold Cucumber Sandwiches

I was at the library the other day and I picked up this movie called ‘Marley and Me’.  This is a comedy-drama about a couple and how an incorrigible dog becomes a part of their family.  A warning for those who are into action and espionage, this is very much a chick flick.  With my schedule, I fear I may have to return it without being able to watch it.  However, with the long weekend coming up, I am hoping I will be able to squeeze it in somewhere, even if I do it in 20 minute phases.  You see, my problem is when I sit down to watch a movie, I like to watch it undisturbed.  All the characters in the movie have my undivided attention and I hang on to every word.  This means, I wait until both kids are asleep, and all needs and wants fulfilled, before I embark on my movie-watching venture.  I made the mistake once of turning on the TV in an attempt to watch a show, with everyone still in their element at home, and I discovered that I spent 8 of the entire 10 minutes rewinding, and playing with the volume, straining to catch every word and dialogue spoken.  What does a girl have to do to get a half hour (or an hour and a half) of uninterrupted “me” time?!
So, the movie watching has taken priority over reading (blush), and cleaning closets (a huge project that is getting bigger each time I postpone it!) .  I read yesterday that one should throw away five things daily in an effort to de-clutter.  I have been putting off my feng shui bedroom renovation project because it starts with de-cluttering!  More on that later…
I am sure you all have plans for the 4th of July weekend.  Many of us will enjoy barbeques, while the rest will head over to the beach.  For our office celebrations tomorrow, I am planning on taking something simple –  cucumber tea sandwiches.  These are easy and yummy, and just right for the summer time.

Cool Cucumber Sandwiches
Sliced Sandwich Bread - remove crust
Cucumbers - very thinly sliced
Mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper
Chopped Cilantro for garnish
Photo from VeganYumYum

Spread mayonnaise on bread slices.   Arrange cucumber on these slices and sprinkle salt and pepper on top.  Garnish with cilantro.
Variations:   You may use whole wheat or multigrain bread, or even the "Very Thin" sliced bread.  Substitute butter or cream cheese for mayonnaise.  Use other herbs for garnish.  Use cookie cutters for different shapes, or ketchup and other condiments for color and flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment